Aims of missionaries
Names of missionaries who visited Zimbabwe(1850-1900)
Names of African evangelists
- Bernad Mizeki.
Pioneer missionary stations
- Hope Fountain.
- St Augustines.
- Old Mutare.
- Marist Nyanga
- Regina Mondi.
- St Faith.
- Mt Selinda.
Reasons why Africans resisted Missionary influence
- Africans did not want to leave their traditional religion.
- Missionaries were blamed for the disaster eg rinderpest and drought.
- They feared punishment from the rulers.
- Christianity was meaningless to traditional life.
- Africans feared that their trade would be disturbed.
- They didn’t want to learn a new language.
- Christianity was against Ndebele customs like polygamy smoking and beer drinking.
- They suspected missionaries of colonial aims.
- Influence from Islam.
- Education was very hard for Africans.
- Africans expected to receive gifts for going to school.